Your Gifts at Work
Day after day, many people in our community struggle to make ends meet. The Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SVdP) in Juneau has many programs that are helping those individuals and families. Every day, SVdP volunteers and staff work with those in need to provide emergency food, help keep the lights on or fill a fuel tank, avoid eviction or pay for travel for medical care. We serve a diverse culture and our mission of charity is carried out regardless of religion, race, or national origin.
SVdP operates a transitional housing facility with 26 rooms which serves 13 families and 13 single / couple occupants, in addition to five low-income housing complexes with 108 units. Last year we also provided the following services to the homeless and those in need:
- 13 housing vouchers, 100 food vouchers, 50 bus passes and 50 vouchers to the thrift store
- Over 300 children received Christmas gifts through Adopt-A-Family
- Over 200 Thanksgiving Baskets were either delivered or distributed
- 1800 lbs. of food (not counting the holidays) were directly distributed
- Home Visit Teams provided 15 home visits and 11 referrals for services
- Navigators (case workers) made over 1,000 contacts and placed 30 into permanent housing
Most important is the fact that your gift demonstrates that our community cares about all its citizens. Your help is most certainly appreciated by those who need it most.